Wednesday 27 August 2014

World War Z 3D (2013) - sublime action thriller

(WARNING! REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS)
Marc Foster's World War Z is an absolutely exceptional film based on the spread of a new virus, leading to an 'infected' society - in other words - what you may call a zombie outbreak. However, in my opinion, I wouldn't refer to the infected as 'zombies' as they seem too wild to be the normal 'zombies' you used to see decades ago. I would nowadays call them merely - 'infected' humans. I miss the old days, where zombies were awesome to see, wandering around slowly in attempt to find any human meat (however we still see it in the Walking Dead). 

Today, we watch most modern 'zombie' films full of inhuman maniacs sprinting about like hooligans to find whatever they can with no sense at all. I mean, I must admit; I still like to see this new logic in the infected maniacs, as it builds on the audience's fear in my opinion as the chances of survival would be less if you have a zombie sprinting at you rather than walking towards you like a numskull. This film was truly exceptional and was more of an action thriller than a horror for me. I'm not saying however that you couldn't categorise it as a horror though, as you could due to the basic obvious fact that it consists of a developing infected society. 
It lasts an approximate of 116 minutes being very lengthy and substantial in terms of quality. The first time I watched this was just in a 2D cinema screen, however I soon purchased it as a 3D version. I must admit, I preferred it as 3D as there were sufficient jump scares in it, and there were constantly bits of rubble flying out of the screen as the infected were blown up by grenades, bombs, and all sorts of military weapons.
The Life for former United Nations investigator Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt!) and his family seems content. Suddenly, the world is plagued by a mysterious infection turning whole human populations into rampaging mindless zombies which seems to be growing by the minute all over the world. After barely escaping the chaos, Lane is persuaded to go on a mission to investigate this disease, and unfortunately leaving his family on board a vessel safely ashore. What follows is a perilous trek around the world where Lane must brave horrific dangers and long odds to find answers before human civilisation falls.
The plot is very exciting in my view, and I loved the fact that it showed you how everywhere around the world were infected. The scene where Gerry and his family were running to the top of the building to set off the flare consisted of a huge scare. Seriously, in 3D, the infected maniac jumped recklessly towards Gerry, and therefore out of the screen! I must say I received a huge fright! Another aspect I must mention is the action scenes. This film was unbelievable in terms of action. I loved the scene over in North Korea - the first destination they visited. I thought the setting of the dull and rainy land point arena was sublime in securing a dodgy, eerie atmosphere and worked perfectly in having the audience at the end of their seats.
Another remarkable scene (possibly my favourite) was their time at Jerusalem, and how the infected mindlessly stacked on top of each other to vault over the wall to the other side where they could target the humans and take them out one by one. That scene, similarly to the opening scene was absolute chaos. Also, as they attempted to escape via the plane to Cardiff, I was gripped by the take off from Jerusalem as the infected were sprinting towards the plane and becoming closer and closer!
I could honestly talk about this film all day as it is so epic in 2D or 3D! I remember the scene in Cardiff as well, I actually felt pretty upset when Gerry showed his message to the security camera which read "Tell my family I love them", and at this moment we actually thought that the famous Brad Pitt was going to die! However, he successfully injected himself with a camouflage and in the end, saved his family and the rest of the world from becoming infected. Once again, Brad Pitt was the hero of the movie! I do hope there is a sequel to this film as I thoroughly enjoyed it and Gerry did quote at the end "It's not the end." Clearly indicating that there may be something else coming! What do you guys think? Brilliant film, worth a watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment